Place residence

Man who died in house fire was ‘happy to finally have a place to stay’

Firefighters pulled an unconscious man from Palmerston's apartment, but he could not be revived.

Hamish McNeilly / Stuff

Firefighters pulled an unconscious man from Palmerston’s apartment, but he could not be revived.

A man who died in a house fire in Palmerston, north of Dunedin, overnight was “happy to finally have a home”, neighbors say.

Emergency services were called to the Copinsha Street fire at around 11.15pm on Sunday.

Fire and Emergency New Zealand staff pulled an unconscious man from the building, a police spokesman said.

“CPR started, but he couldn’t be revived.”

A long-time resident of the flats owned by Waitaki District Council said the man had moved into the adjoining bedroom unit within the last year.

She said the man, believed to be in his 50s, had struggled to find suitable accommodation in Oamaru and was happy to finally have a place.

The woman, who declined to be named, said she was shocked to wake up to the smell of smoke and saw firefighters battling the blaze.

A neighbor said the man had moved into the unit owned by Waitaki District Council within the last year.

Hamish McNeilly / Stuff

A neighbor said the man had moved into the unit owned by Waitaki District Council within the last year.

An hour into it, she could still hear the sound of glass coming from the property.

Specialist investigators, including a photographer and a police detective, were at the scene Monday morning.