Girl group ITZY’s fifth EP, “Checkmate,” entered the Billboard 200 albums chart on Sunday at number 8.
This is the girl group’s third time on the chart and first time entering the top 10. ITZY’s previous album “Crazy in Love”, which dropped in September 2021, peaked at number 11 on the Billboard 200.
The Billboard 200 takes into account physical CD sales as well as the number of converted online streams and downloads to count as CD sales. One thousand five hundred on-demand streams are counted as one streaming equivalent album (SEA), and 10 track downloads are counted as one track equivalent album (TEA).
According to Billboard, “Checkmate” has sold 33,000 copies in the United States; 31,000 of them were actual albums sold, about 2,000 were SEAs, and the rest were TEAs. He added that physical copies account for 98% of album sales, with the remaining 2% being digital album purchases.
“Checkmate” and its lead track “Sneakers” contain the girl group’s positive message to fans that they can go anywhere they want.
ITZY debuted in February 2019 with “Dalla Dalla.” The group has five members: Yeji, Lia, Ryujin, Chaeryeong, and Yuna. He is known for the hit songs “Icy” (2019), “Wannabe” (2020), “Not Shy” (2020), “Mafia in the Morning” (2021) and “Loco” (2021).
BY HALEY YANG [[email protected]]