Laura Jordan, from Redditch, Worcs, said her son Zac had fallen behind in the seven months he was at home after his eviction – and still couldn’t read or even write his own name .
Image: Daily Mirror)
A five-year-old boy expelled for ‘bad behaviour’ will have spent a year at home before fully returning to school.
Little Zac was just four years old when he was expelled from school in October for behavioral issues.
Mum Laura, 36, told the council her son had undiagnosed special educational needs and resisted attempts to send him to another mainstream school.
The 36-year-old, from Redditch, Worcs, has criticized Worcestershire County Council for failing to find Zac a place at a special school after he was expelled.
She even accused the council of “breaking the law” after Zac reached compulsory school age and was still stuck at home.
However, Zac was eventually offered a place in a new autism unit at Chaddesley Corbett School in Kidderminster.
Laura told the Mirror: ‘The council have now offered Zac a place at the school and we will begin the slow process of reintegration after the next semester, with the aim of starting full time in September.
Worcestershire County Council has been approached for comment.
Although Laura is thrilled that Zac is finally going back to school, she worries that her son will have missed nearly a year of full-time study.
She said: “September is a long way off. He is late. He can neither read nor write at the moment.
“He should know how to write his name and he should start reading. His name is only three letters and he can’t write that. It’s sad.
“It massively affects his development. Socially he is not where he should be. He’s going to have a harder time socializing with the kids now.
Laura had previously said her son had spent so much time in the house that he was afraid to go out.
Just days before receiving the news from Zac’s home, Laura told the Mirror that Worcestershire County Council had “broken the law” by missing the deadline to get her son back to school.
She said: ‘The law states that the term after their fifth birthday they should be in education.
“Jack turned five in February, so on April 26 he should have gone back to school because that’s when the kids came home after Easter.
“It’s so frustrating. They’ve had since October to sort this out.
“Worcestershire County Council has now broken the law.
“If, as a parent, I didn’t send my son to school at the age of five, I would be brought to justice – or they would want to know why he wasn’t in school.”
Zac was expelled from Holly Hill Church School, in Rubery, Worcs, within five weeks of joining the reception class.
He was expelled for a number of behavioral issues, including attacks on other students and staff.
Laura explained that her life had been on hold for seven months as she cared for Zac at home.
She couldn’t work because she has no one around who can watch him.
Although she tried to teach him at home, Zac quickly loses interest.
Laura takes the floor to raise awareness of the difficulties of access to adequate education for children with special needs.
She said parents face a “postcode lottery” as councils have different policies for special educational needs.
The mum claimed that while Birmingham City Council would have offered her son an alternative education immediately after his eviction, it was not an option in Worcestershire.
Get all the latest news delivered to your inbox. Sign up for the free Mirror newsletter
Zac spent months at home because Worcestershire County Council was under no legal obligation to find him a new school until his fifth birthday.
Laura has previously said she believes the compulsory school age in the UK should be lowered to four to ensure children stay in school once they start school.
Worcestershire Councilor Marcus Hart, Cabinet Member for Education, has apologized in response to Laura’s claim that the council had ‘broken the law’.
He added, “We are sorry that Zac has not yet started his new school this term and we recognize that this delay brings continued frustration to Zac and their family.
“Our SEN (special educational needs) department is communicating directly with Ms. Jordan to confirm interim support for Zac, a school placement that meets his needs and the start date for this.”
Mr Hart has previously acknowledged that the law requires all children to start full-time education at the start of the term following their fifth birthday.
In March, he told the Mirror he hoped Zac would be ready to start school in April.
A spokesperson for the Department for Education previously said: ‘Suspensions and permanent exclusions should only be used as a last resort, but we support school leaders to suspend or exclude pupils where necessary. and helps keep classrooms quiet.
“We are consulting on behavior change and exclusion guidelines to ensure this is used fairly, and the cross-government SEND review will consult further on how children with special educational needs and disabilities are catered for. load by the system, including in alternatives. provision.”