Place residence

A man shot in busy St. Mark’s Square near a weed shop

BY KEITH J. KELLY | St. Mark’s Square, normally the thriving heart of the East Village, was closed Friday night and early Saturday morning as police investigated a shooting outside one of the neighborhood’s two smoking rooms.

Witnesses said three shots were fired outside a weed shop in St. Mark’s Square on Friday night. Police told the Village Sun that one victim was beaten and taken to Bellevue Hospital.

An officer at the scene said of the victim: ‘He’ll be fine’

The New York Post reported that the victim was shot in the stomach.

A sergeant on the spot. (Photo by Keith J. Kelly)

A police news service spokesman said the shooting occurred outside 120 St. Mark’s Place, which is the site of a closed marshmallow shop. However, locals and cops at the scene said they believed the shooting was related to the “weed shop” next door.

A witness said they were drinking at a bar on the corner of Saint-Marc and Avenue A when they heard what they initially thought was a backfiring car, but then when at least two more shots fire rang out, they realized it was a gunshot.

A police spokesperson said the shooting happened outside this vacant former marshmallow shop. (Photo by Keith J. Kelly)

Several restaurant workers in the neighborhood said they believed at least four shots were fired.

Police cordoned off the entire block between Avenue A and First Avenue for hours, preventing many area residents from returning to their apartments.

One individual begged a sergeant to be allowed home on the block so he could feed his dog, but the officer told him it was still an active crime scene. The exchange was cordial, with the St. Mark’s resident saying, “I realize you’re just doing your job, but my dog ​​needs water.”

Police were still at the crime scene early Saturday morning. (Photo by Keith J. Kelly)

The sergeant at the scene replied, “I sympathize with you, but this is still an active crime scene investigation.”

The name of the shooting victim had not been released by the New York Police Department at the time of writing early Saturday morning.