When playing a video game, WHERE the game takes place can be just as important as the characters you play as. These are usually fictional locations, but occasionally you’ll find real locations featured in video games.
Here is a list of 10 video games that take place in Texas, whether it’s the entire game or a Texas level.
NOTE: I am not including simulation games (ex: Microsoft Flight Simulator) or racing games based on racing organizations (such as Nascar, MotoGP, Indy) because that would be TOO easy. There is ONE racing game exception but we will get to that.
1. Take No Prisoners: In 1997, Raven Software created a PC game set in post-apocalyptic San Antonio called Take no prisoners. It’s a bit like Duke Nukem in 3rd person.
While it wasn’t a particularly great game, it definitely had a charm if you’re into 3rd person shooters. He even got a 7/10 on Gamespot. Not bad.
2. Beavis & Butthead Video Games: Which one am I talking about? Well, since we know the Beavis & Butt-Head TV show was set in Texas, you can argue that ALL of their games are set in Texas. But if I had to pick one in particular that people remember fondly, it’s Beavis & Butthead in Virtual Stupidity.
3. Pepsman: No, it’s not a fever dream. There is a game called Pepsiman & there is a level game in Texas. The game has only 4 levels: San Francisco, New York, Texas and Pepsi City. Is the game good? Well, if you’re a Pepsi lover and like goofy games that make you say “what the fuck?” so yes. You’ll love it.
4. Off-Road Challenge: Speaking of desert levels, this one is a journey. I remember owning this game for the Nintendo 64 and when I was a kid I always got excited when I noticed there was level play in El Paso. The level itself is set in an old desert/western style, a nod to cowboy culture. Plus…it’s a racing game so the idea of driving fast trucks where I lived sounded nice.
5. Dead State: If you want a game set during a zombie apocalypse and you have enough materials to survive, this takes place in the fictional town called Splendid, Texas… then you might enjoy dead state. While it’s unclear what city the game is based in, multiple sources say Central Texas. So that’s enough for me.
6. Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel – Believe it or not, Texas has been mentioned quite often a few times in the Fallout series; the most notable being in Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel as it takes place in Carbon, Texas (just north of Houston). There was even talk of ANOTHER Fallout game, this time in EL PASO, called Fallout: Lonestar. Sadly, that never became a reality, but you can see a ton of work that’s been done on the game here.
7. Manos: Hands of Fate – Do you remember the old movie from 1966 that was shot in El Paso? Well NOW you can enjoy it like an 8-bit video game! And yes, just like the movie, the game also takes place in El Paso.
8. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus – Wolfenstein fans will be happy to know that the game, and its main character BB Blazkowicz, originated in Texas. The 2017 game Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus makes many references to Texasincluding the main characters’ house located in Mesquite.
9. The Last of Us: The Naughty Dog classic is indeed participating in Texas. While most of the game takes place in post-apocalyptic Boston, the game’s prologue takes place in Austin. It’s not the only time Austin would be the setting for The Last of Us, it’s also in the HBO adaptation for The Last of Us.
10. Interstate ’76: One of the fighting games you probably saw in the 90s; alongside Vigilante 8 or Twisted Metal. Although the setting of the game is not exactly stated, it takes place in the southwestern United States. There are theories as to where EXACTLY the game takes place and even have photo-based evidence of actual and in-game cards; including Seagraves, through Van Horn, Odessa and more.
Honorable Mention 1 – El Paso, Elsewhere: It’s been teased for a while, but we’re expecting to see the Max Payne as a video game, El Paso Elsewhere, in 2023. (and yes, it should take place in El Paso TEXAS). They did, however, create a spin-off game called El Paso Nightmare which you can read here.
So until the game comes out, that’s an honorable mention here.
Honorable Mention 2 – Juarez Appeal: Yes, it’s not Texas, but anyone who lives in El Paso knows that Juarez is literally right next to us and it’s impossible NOT to talk about Juarez when you live in El Paso. So I included him here as HM as well.
If you’re curious about other Texas video games, here’s a list of 20 video game development studios founded in the state of Texas.
40 of the best musicians born in the Lone Star State
Texas has hosted a wide variety of musical genres; many musicians have become staples in rock, metal, pop, country, and more. Here are some of the greatest musicians to ever represent the state of Texas.